Monday, March 19, 2012

Wholeheartedness

Two things that I've read about recently: the endemic contagiaty of the Lukewarm versus Wholeheartedness.  For me, I've recently wrestled through a lot of living wholeheartedly in the present, and instead, looking to the future, too far.  Certainly, there is a time & place for planning in order to see a good work carried out, but it also must not rob the beauty of the present.  "Cancer is a bad day", a man by the name of Bob Goff once said.  It's almost scary at how quickly little naggings can rob the presence of grace in living in the moment, a walk which I think Jesus meant, in part, when he said that his yoke is easy & his burden is light.  Have you ever woken up on the wrong side of the bed?  The taste in your mouth is extra bitter, & you're just hit with a ton of life-bricks.  I once heard a devotional led by one of my mentors & camp director, Scott Steltzer.  He taught me how to do "Heart Checks" in the morning, where you confront & call out the little torpedoes, waiting to destroy your day, in writing them down and casting them down.  They have no place in my day.  Oftentimes, my heart checks are met with Scripture in my morning devotionals specifically & directly.  To live & rest easy, knowing that the Lord knows the BEST ways for me, can shape life out of lukewarm complacancy or unwarranted worry.  He renews us day by day!

But He knows the way that I take;
when He has tested me,
I will come forth as gold.
-Job 23:10 (NIV)

1 comment: