Saturday, August 11, 2012

3rd Grade & the Prophet, Elisha!

It's that time of year again!  Especially this past evening, this August weekend is cool as can be.  Summer is winding down, days are getting shorter, the air is getting crisper, time for school shopping, new shoes and new pencils.  School is around the corner!


I finally received my placement for my internship for the school year.  I will be at Propel McKeesport {learning how to} teach 3rd grade!  So blessed! 

Do you remember what you learned in 3rd grade?  It is an important year!  3rd graders are 8 going on 9 years old.  They learn fractions, area & perimeter, division and multiplication.  They learn state history & geography as well as important holidays and history of the United States.  They develop a greater note-range in vocal music and are capable of playing simple instruments.  3rd graders transition from learning to read into reading to learn.  They still love school, too!  3rd grade is awesome!


My devos were crazy this morning.  Crazy in a great way.  In My Utmost for His Highest, Oz uses the account of Elijah being taken up into heaven by whirlwind.  Much of the focus that I received from this reading is much less about Elijah and more about Elisha--the eyewitness & successor of Elijah as prophet to God's people.

"And as they still went on and talked, behold, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.  And Elisha saw it and he cried, 'My father, my father! The chariots of Israel and its horsemen!' And he saw him no more.
Then he took hold of his own clothes and tore them in two pieces." --2 Kings 2:12
This is Elisha's time to shine.  He has been walking with Elijah for so long, learning from him, striving to be in the likeness of him.  Earlier in the chapter several times, Elijah pleads with Elisha, "Please stay here, for the Lord has sent me over there."  Yet Elisha consistently responds, "As the Lord lives, and as you live yourself, I will not leave you."  Elisha was fully committed to his role model, Elijah.

Oz says that it's not WRONG to depend on "your Elijah (fill-in-the-blank of who/what that is in your life)" as long as God gives him to you, but remember that the time WILL come when he will have to go.  When he stands no more as your guide & leader, be not disheartened, because God did not intend  that he should.

You say, "I cannot go on without you, {Elijah}."  God says that you must.
Sometimes we are sent to Jordan, where you are sent ALONE, taking on full responsibility that you've never yet had.
Sometimes we are sent to Jericho, where I've seen {my Elijah} do great things.  I would prefer for someone else to do the job, we tell God.  Instead, we need to take the initiative & trust in God.  In this way, God's nearness will be made known.
& Sometimes, we are sent to Bethel, where you are at your WIT'S END, running out of ideas, in desperate circumstances.  This moment at Bethel is the beginning of God's wisdom.  We would prefer to succumb to panic!  Yet if we remain standing true to God, He will bring His truth out in a way that will make life a sacrament and glory for Himself.


I just have this feeling that this year will be amazing! Propel is an inner-city charter school with some great habits toward greatness: Academics, Attitude, Behavior & Pride, No Excuses, Treating Others the Way You Want to be Treated, and Teamwork.  I have heard nothing but great things about this district and am looking forward to Monday, helping my mentor teacher, Valerie, set up the classroom and get the room ready for young students!  It's time to GO!  Pray for us (:


{Words from one of my favorite artists, Steve Moakler!}

Be determined in this; trust in the Lord.
If God is truly the God I have faith to believe Him to be, we will succeed.  Do great things alone, dependent only upon God.

No comments:

Post a Comment